Mosser Construction and Bowling Green State University had reason to celebrate on Oct. 1, 2016. It marked the 50th anniversary of the university opening the doors to its football stadium, Doyt Perry Stadium.
Mosser was the general contractor when the stadium was built. When the project was first completed, it cost $3.72 million and included an indoor track, six classrooms and 30 offices. It also had a seating capacity of 23,272.
The stadium is named after Doyt Perry, a longtime coach for the Falcons who led the team to five MAC Championships between 1955 and 1964 before becoming the athletic director. While the stadium’s official name is Doyt Perry Stadium, many fans simply refer to it as “The Doyt.”
Doyt Perry Stadium has housed many great games over the past 50 years, including the first game ever played there. When the stadium first opened its doors on Oct. 1, 1966 the Falcons celebrated with a 13-0 win over the University of Dayton. It was the first of more than 160 wins BGSU has captured on its home turf.
In addition, it has been the home of six MAC Championship teams, the most recent being in 2015.
The Blade recently commemorated the stadium’s 50th birthday with an article that can be found at http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/703300?referrer_id=878183.
Mosser is proud to have been such an important part of the BGSU football team for the past 50 years. Good luck to the Falcons this year, and for the next 50 years!