An addition and renovation of St. Mary’s Church endeavored to respond to the vision of Vatican II, preserving the original soring Gothic arches and vaulted ceilings reviving the spirit and practices of the early Church.
Mosser removed layers of paint from the stone columns, replastered and painted the ceiling and walls, and built and installed acoustical panels and a sound system. Blending new with old, the stately refurbished worship area, dated 1873, is complemented by a contemporary 5,000 sf Commons addition built to accommodate church affiliated gatherings. Concrete block with stone veneer facing and windows match the existing church. Amenities to the new Commons include a full-service kitchen and entry courtyard.
Although the church was structurally sound, the plaster and paint on the ceilings and walls were peeling and cracked. The existing lighting system was removed and new openings and fixtures installed. The existing heating and ventilating system supply and return ductwork were reworked.
Location: Sandusky, Ohio
Project Size: 5,000 sf