Originally constructed in 1968, the 10-acre, 170,000 sf complex operated as a hotel for decades by various hotel chains and was definitely showing its age. Turning this diamond in the rough into a true gem did not come without its share of construction challenges that go with renovating an antiquated building.
Challenges, as with any renovation, consisted of unseen items from earlier years of construction that date back to the 1960s. At weekly meetings, Mosser Construction addressed these previously unknown items and created viable solutions. Some of these surprises included:
- Structural repairs to the pool area columns
- Upgrading booster pumps for the tower water supply
- Repairing/replacing existing sanitary lines
- Replacing three existing stairs
- Repairing PTAC unit sleeves for every room
- Enclosing the pool area and adding a humidity control system
- Extensive electrical upgrades
- Adding sprinkler and fire alarm systems to the rooms and corridors
The new Genesis Village now includes 138 one and two-bedroom apartments for active seniors who want to continue to live vibrant lives. Apartments range from 485 sf to 966 sf depending on the floor plan and location in the building.
Genesis Village offers amenities galore that you just don’t find in a typical senior living facility. Residents can enjoy the pool, whirlpool, sauna, locker rooms, café, fireplace lounge, and multimedia center with a theatre-size screen. They can also visit the chapel and prayer room, beauty salon, wellness center, fitness center, and enjoy the atrium for games and activities, two courtyards, a vegetable garden, and five-acre green space.
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Project Size: 170,000 sf